MY PRE-OP ASSESSMENT FOR MY 2ND C-SECTION


I thought I'd write a quick post about my experience at my Pre-Op Assessment today for my Scheduled Caesarean Section. I know it's a bit of a random post but I'd been asking everyone for their experiences over the past few days so I had an idea of what to expect and found that it varies alot from place to place but it's all pretty standard and wanted to share how mine went and what they did.

I was invited to go today, the day before my C-Section for an appointment that they said would take approx. 2 hours. I was there for a little over 2 hours but it went pretty quick.



Upon arrival I was greeted by a lovely lady who took my height, weight, blood pressure and temperature for the Anaesthetist. She also measured my calves and gave me some lovely 'made to measure' Anti-Embolism stockings to wear for the C-Section. I then had to back into the waiting room to wait for the Anaesthetist and Midwife to see me. After a short while the Anaesthetist arrived and took me into a room and took note of my medical history for her own notes. She talked me through everything from the Spinal Block and risks, to recovery and pain relief. It was all really relaxed and she answered the questions that I had. Then, it was back to the waiting room.

A short while later the midwife came to take me to another room and she issued me with a tablet to take at 10pm the night before the C-Section, and another to take at 6am in the morning. I was told I can't eat from midnight and I can only have water, and then from 6am I'm nil by mouth. Again, she answered all the questions I had and was very reassuring. I mainly asked about length of hospital stay and procedure once baby is born in theatre. She told me I can leave after 24 hours if everything goes well as I've already experienced a C-Section and answered my questions about 'what to take into theatre for baby'. Many people are told only to bring a nappy for baby for health and safety and that everything else is provided but the midwife told me that our hospital lets babys' clothes, nappy and hat to be taken into theatre, although all blankets and linen are provided by them. It does vary from hospital to hospital but this is how our hospital works. She also said they encourage us to take our phones in (for photos, not calls) and she said they will happily snap a few family photos for us which I thought was lovely.

I'm feeling pretty good about my C-Section tomorrow, more so because the Pre-Op went so well and all of the medical team that I met with were really positive and reassuring.

Roll on tomorrow!